Headwaters Food and Farming Alliance Hub
The Hub committee sets direction, policy and resourcing for the activities of the working committees.
HFFA Hub Members
Lisa Needham Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
Sandra Dolson Town of Caledon
Ruth Philips Town of Orangeville
Marci Lipman Dufferin Farm Fresh map
Karen Hutchinson*/Shirley Boxem* Headwaters Communities in Action
Janet Horner Golden Horseshoe Food and Farming Alliance
Diana Morris Dufferin Board of Trade
Jacalyn Dryland/Bob Megens HFFA Education, Literacy and Access (ELA) Working Group
Hub Support: Branka Gladanac Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
Education, Literacy and Access Working Group
The mandate of the HFFA Education, Literacy & Access Working Group is to educate residents by supporting school-based food and farming programs, community programs and outreach campaigns on food and farming issues and opportunities including food literacy, food access issues and farming education.
The primary objectives of the ELA group are:
- To support the education and engagement of our youth about local food and farming.
- To collaborate with schools to provide children and youth with opportunities and experiences to learn about food and farming, including the economic and financial value of our food and farming culture in Headwaters.
- To increase food literacy skills by promoting the preparation and consumption of healthy foods.
- To advocate for increased access to culturally acceptable, safe and nutritious foods to meet dietary needs; in a manner that maintains human dignity.
- To educate and engage people in Headwaters about food & farming issues and opportunities within the region by supporting the identification, replication, development and execution of successful programs and/or events.
ELA Committee Members
Jacalyn Dryland Dufferin Area Family Health Team, Registered Dietitian (RD)
Bob Megens volunteer
Heather Verpaalen The Children’s Foundation of Guelph & Wellington/Food & Friends Network, Manager Dufferin Network
Kathryn MacDonald volunteer, RD
Andrew Seagram Upper Grand District School Board, Community Use of Schools Director
Shirley Boxem* HCIA
Nicole Hambleton* HCIA, RD and HFFA Farm to School Program Coordinator
Jennifer Payne* HCIA and HFFA Farm to School Program Coordinator
ELA Support: Branka Gladanac Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
Communication and Website Subcommittee
Charged with the promotion of farm and food businesses in Headwaters through the HFFA website and other media.
*Supported by Headwaters Community in Action Staff