What is it?
The Food Access and Poverty Reduction project focuses on supporting the vision and guiding principles of HFFA to ensure that:
- All Headwaters residents have access to and can afford to eat safe, nutritious and culturally acceptable food supported by a diverse and sustainable food and farming system.
- Agriculture, food businesses and community are connected to each other in order to contribute to job creation and a prosperous economy.
- Headwaters residents, politicians and leaders are actively engaged in making and implementing decisions to positively impact our food and farming system.
Activities have included Community Food Access Conversations and a Low Income Food Challenge called “Do The Math”.
How to Help?
Sign up to be part of the Food Access and Poverty sub group to help
- Plan awareness raising activities
- Spread communications about activities
- Attend events and provide input
Why do it?
To raise awareness and support initiatives that:
- Ensure access to culturally acceptable, safe and nutritious foods to meet dietary needs in a manner that maintains human dignity.
- Promote poverty elimination efforts as inadequate income is a root issue to food insecurity (includes food availability, food accessibility and food literacy).
Who to call?
This is a sub-group of:
The Education, Literacy & Access committee
Project Contact: Kathryn MacDonald
For more information, or to inquire about upcoming activities:
- Contact the above project contact
- Read up on our blog under Food Access and Poverty Reduction categories
- Sign up for our HFFA newsletter
Keep up to date on this project by browsing the Food Access category of our What’s Happening blog.